Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A River Runs Through It

I'm sorry if words are misspelled or misplaced but I've been crying for about an hour. A friend of mine told me I should read "A River Runs Through It" by Norman Maclean. I had seen the movie so we talked about it for a time and then I decided since fall break was coming up I would take the time to read it (haven't had many leisure reads since school started). It was worth it.

I feel, as a woman, I wasn't able to dive into the depths of the male understanding of life, nature, and the relationship between brothers as much as a man may be able to. Not that I don't ponder those things at equal depth, just in different ways. That being said, even though my mind doesn't work in the same way as Norman's, it adapted throughout the book and parts of me came out to meet these soul awakenings that I hadn't encountered before. This work is a "beautiful" mix of natural, spiritual, and familial elements that wake you up from some urban slumber. Sometimes a reading overwhelms me, I call my friends and tell them, then write it down somewhere.....welp, here we are....

I'll probably post about this again, I need to process.....


"I am haunted by waters." -Norman Maclean
















-Katie Ro

No comments:

Post a Comment