Friday, July 1, 2011

Insecurity Makes Me Wanna Vomit

We all struggle with insecurities. They attack us each in different ways and in different intensities; but still, underneath the surface (or roaring loud and clear)...they're there waiting to hinder us. Some insecurities began in childhood and were the result of misunderstanding or mistakes others made at our expense. Others simply develop within new seasons of life. I will have insecurities in the future as a wife and mother that I don't have now and visa versa.

We have ALL been there. We have all left a get together, family dinner, coffee date with a friend, or any other type of communal gathering at some point and found ourselves quoting Baby's infamous "I carried a Watermelon?!?!" line (Dirty Dancing reference). "Why did I say that?" "Why did I do that?" "Do they still want to be my friend?" "Did I seem confident, because I really want to seem confident..." "Did they really get what I was trying to say?" the list goes on and on. There are days and seasons when these questions plague my mind, but praise God there are also seasons when I truly begin to grasp the Lord's unconditional love for me in finding my security in Him. I am not in the latter of these two seasons.

The root of insecurity is finding your worth and joy in external things instead of internal truths. You seek the affirmation of people (both hands raised over here) or you aquire more things to create a pseudo-happiness that lasts until you need another "fix" of affirmation and then a horribly unhealthy cycle begins.

So what do we do? How do we get our anxiety under control when these moments of insecurity consume us?

The only thing we can do...

Take our thoughts captive. Remember that we are called to think upon good and noble things. Remember that we are beautiful, creative, able women who are loved and accepted. Not by everyone in the world (and we have to be okay with that....sometimes I'm not) but by those who get us and ultimately by the Lord. Praise God we are not left to battle insecurity and fear of rejection alone, healing comes, roots are plucked out and nurtured, we grow and accept ourselves and those around us more...
Find hope that seasons pass, they were created to. Nature proclaims that. Praise.

I wish I had some really great background music here and some awesome quotes....I'm tired. Maybe I'll add more later!

-Katie Ro

No comments:

Post a Comment